Arrival at Kittlä airport and shuttle transfer to Levi, snowshoe collection, arrival at the chalet. We do a briefing and together prepare a Finnish dinner cooked together with the local guide Kirsti.
Evening walk to test snowshoes and look for boreal activity in the night sky.
We start the day by preparing our breakfast at the chalet together.
A journey with snowshoes or on foot on the paths in the woods. We climb the wild peak of Kätkä and traverse the ridge, admiring the open views over the Arctic wilderness.
Walking technique lesson with snowshoes and safety in a snowy environment. This is a beautiful hike in the forest, open fells and frozen lakes. We may get the possibility to stop and warm up in a local farmhouse café.
After the outing, we return to the chalet where a welcoming Finnish sauna awaits us to warm up. We prepare the dinner together, based on Kirsti’s old family recipes, in Finnish style.
After dinner, we can spend the evening outdoors waiting for the Northern Lights.
Breakfast at the chalet, prepared as a group. This is more leisurely morning with optional free time in the village of Sirkka. You can rent cross country skis, or visit the Samiland museum to learn about the local indigenous peoples.
We meet in Sirkka to go and visit the reindeer farm and outing by dog sledding and reindeer sled. Visit 1.5 hours during which we will experience the sheer joy and the speed of the Siberian husky dog sledding 2km, then we will leave for a leisurely 1km reindeer tour with sledges, the traditional Laplandish mode of transport.
In the evening we will explore the frozen lakes and forest, grilling some Finnish sausages on an open air barbecue and wait for a glimpse of the northern lights. After a break in the chalet, an exploratory trek on the Immeljärvi glacier and trek up to the Korkeaninen bothy, a public barbecue frequented by locals for it’s beautiful location. We will prepare our own enjoy Finnish sausages on the open fire. The glass wall of the bothy is ideal for spotting the northern lights.
Return to chalet for some food and relax, then possibility to go out to catch the northern lights.
This is the adventure day in the wilderness. We head out towards the Kätkä fell, following the snowy ridge past trees bent down in double under the weight of the snow. Our route of the day will take us into the untracked wilderness and we can spot animal tracks and arctic birds. We will find shelter in an wilderness bothy and later we can stop for a warm hot berry juice and possibly some waffles in a local farm.
We return for an early dinner, warm Finnish sauna and a relax. At night and head for a night time hike in the surrounding area if the sky is clear and we have a chance of seeing the northern lights.
Breakfast at the chalet, tidy up and pack your bags and make your way to Kittilä Airport for a flight home. Possibility for a quick souvenir shopping in Sirkka before the transfer.
Why go on this trip?
Watch this video made on our trip in 2023: https://youtu.be/XwHJM455QH8
- If we are lucky, if the weather is clear, we will be able to admire the northern lights, a show to be seen at least once in a lifetime.
- Finland, the happiest country in the world, is the perfect destination for travelers seeking authentic experiences.
- We offer you a fun and comfortable journey and limiting the environmental impact as much as possible.
- We will cook most of our dinners with local ingredients together with Kirsti, the Finnish guide.
The price includes
- 4 nights in a chalet with 3 double bedrooms, one sofa bed and 3 bathrooms, spa-sauna, kitchen and living room www.katkanlinna.fi
- 4 breakfasts prepared together, 4 Finnish dinners prepared together in chalet. Optionally a dinner in a local restaurant, to be confirmed 4 weeks prior to the trip.
- Ingredients to make snack/sandwich for lunch
- Finnish mid-mountain guide speaking English, French and Italian.
- Snowshoe rental
- Visit to view reindeer & ride with a husky sledge
- Snowshoeing – easy to medium journeys
- Transport to the activities by shuttle, bus or taxi
- Recovery and rescue insurance for guides and clients
- If resident in Italy, a travel insurance policy for the entire duration of the trip can be added to at the rate of 50euro.
The fee does not include
- The return flights to Kittilä, Finland
- Flight cancellation insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Winter clothes
- Your sports and travel insurance
We remind you that the program can change according to the snow and weather conditions. The northen lights cannot be guaranteed for the journey. The daily programs may change, depending on the service providers for reindeer and husky rides.
Call or email Kirsti firstname.lastname@example.org or messages via this website
Aurora borealis holiday and Lapland snowshoe hike Technical Management: Controtedenza Viaggi srl
Registered office Via Maggiori, 32 – 12010 Bernezzo Operational office – Via Don G.B. Astre, 93 – 12010 Bernezzo i.v.a. 02993730049 – rea 253583
tel. 0171 857098 Roberta email@example.com – www.controtendenza.eu